Moroccan Grilled Chicken Legs
From Bruce Cost, Ginger: East to West
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh chili pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 c. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 tbs. cumin seeds
- 1 tbs. paprika
- 3 c. water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 5 lbs. whole chicken legs (leg and thigh)
- lemon slices, for garnish
- In food processor, finely chop the ginger, garlic, chili pepper, onion,
parsley and cilantro with the lemon juice.
- In a large pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Cook until fragrant,
then add contents of food processor and paprika. Cook, stirring, for
1 minute. Add the water, salt, and sugar, and bring to a boil.
Add the chicken to the pot. When water comes to a boil again, turn
down heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from
the sauce and set aside to cool.
- Turn heat under the sauce to high and reduce to about 1 cup. (It
should be bubbly and oily.) Remove from heat. When cool, pour
over the chicken legs and mix thoroughly. Marinate for at least
3 hours, or overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator at least 1 hour before cooking.
Grill legs over hot charcoal fire for 6-8 minutes per side, basting
from time to time. When chicken is done, arrange on serving platter,
heat remaining sauce, and pour over the chicken. Serve garnished
with lemon slices.
Keywords: Moroccan, Chicken.