Sweet Potatoes with Saffron and Cinnamon
From Bruce Cost, Ginger: East to West
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1 lb. each)
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch saffron threads soaked in 2 tbs. hot water
- 1 tbs. ginger, finely minced
- 4 tbs. sweet butter
- 1 tbs. peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tbs. parsley, minced
- Peel each sweet potato and cut into 8 pieces. Add to a saucepan
with rest of ingredients except parsley. Turn heat to medium
and cook, stirring gently until the butter melts. Turn heat to
low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When sweet potatoes are beginning to fall apart, cook until
sauce is syrupy.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with parsley.
Keywords: Moroccan, Potato, Sweet Potato.