Sea Scallop Ceviche with Grilled Red Onion and Mango-Tortilla Salad
From Bobby Flay, in Dawn Davis: If You Can Stand the Heat
- 24 large sea scallops, about 1.5 lbs., halved
- 2 c. orange juice
- 2 c. lime juice
- 2 c. lemon juice
- 2 medium red onions, peeled, cut in thick slices
- 2 c. peanut or canola oil
- 6 blue corn tortillas, cut in fine julienne strips
- 2 small mangoes, peeled, diced
- 4 tbs. chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbs. honey
- Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. lime juice
- 2 fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 1 tbs. red onion, finely chopped
- 2 c. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium limes, peeled, sectioned, membrane removed
- 2 medium oranges, peeled, sectioned, membrane removed
- In bowl, combined scallops with orange, lime, and lemon juices.
Refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Prepare grill or preheat broiler. Grill or broil onoin slices until
just marked, about 2 minutes for each side.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the tortilla
strips until crisp, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- Drain scallops, reserving 3/4 c. juices for Citrus Vinaigrette.
Combine juices, basil leaves, and blend until smooth. With
processor running, slowly add olive oil until emulsified.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add Citrus Vinaigrette to scallops. Add mangoes, chives, honey,
and salt/pepper to taste. Gently mix in lime and orange sections.
- To serve, place onion rings in center of a larger platter. Using
them as support, stand tortillas in middle. Surround with scallop
and fruit mixture. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.
- I halved this recipe. It seems like the amount of juice used to
marinade the scallops is excessive, so I re-used the juice for
the Citrus Vinaigrette.
- I didn't find blue tortillas, so substituted yellow corn tortillas.
They didn't fry up crisp -- either I didn't use enough oil,
didn't get the oil hot enough, or maybe the tortillas were too
soft, or something else.
Keywords: Mexican, Tapas, Scallops.