Balinese-Style Fried Chicken
From Charmaine Solomon, The Complete Asian Cookbook
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. ginger, chopped
- 3 fresh red chiles, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 kemiri nuts (brazil nuts)
- 1 tbs. dark soy sauce
- 1 2.5 lb. frying chicken
- peanut oil
- 2 tsp. palm sugar
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. coconut milk
- Put onion, garlic, ginger, chiles, nuts, and soy sauce into a
food processor or blender, and blend to a smooth paste.
- Cut chicken into quarters or frying-sized pieces.
- Heat 1/2 c. peanut oil. Fry the chicken pieces quickly, until
brown. Remove chicken and drain on absorbent paper.
- Pour off all but 1 tbs. of the oil. Heat oil, add the blended
mixture, and fry for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Add
sugar, lemon juice, and coconut milk, and keep stirring while
mixture comes to a boil. Return chicken and simmer for 25
minutes or until chicken is tender and gravy thick.
Keywords: Indonesian, Chicken.